Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Good thing the lecture wasn't on the brain. The irony could have caused the universe to implode.

Dumb kid in class: Uhh... I have a question. Why, in all the past civilizations, has the heart been referred to as the "heart?"
Tactful professor: I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
Dumb kid in class: Oh, I mean, our heart, like, why did the Romans refer to it as the "heart," and the Greeks refer to it as "heart," and even the Arabs refer to it as "heart?"
Tactful professor: Oh, well, actually, I refer to it as "heart" in this class because we all speak English. But the Greeks referred to it as "kardia," and the Romans referred to it as "pectus." I say "heart" for the sake of simplicity.
Dumb kid in class: Really? Oh, okay.

-- History of Medicine 220, overheard by Faran

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's terrible. I guess he/she proves there is such a thing as a dumb question.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could this student possibly be operating on me later in life?

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be wrong, but I think History of Medicine is a classical studies course...so no, the student will probably not be operation on you...at least let's all hope so.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^ Oops, I meant to say operatING....who's stupid now?? *sigh*

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

burnnnn!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue Gordon?

11:33 PM  
Blogger faranv said...

Judging by how people are accepted into medical schools these days, I can almost guarantee you that if you ever need a triple heart-bypass he will be the one operating on you. Isn't life grand?

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i'll do it myself thanks :P

1:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I just became more dumb for reading that whole heart misunderstanding.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this school!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, You must be using McMaster's acceptance policy as the basis for your med school comment. Mac's hardly representative, those guys would diagnose painful unrination as strep throat.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home